Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Four Things

Okay, so what goes around, comes around. The one blogger I am tagging to complete the four things exercise in her blog is Barbara Harris at http://everywhichwayofbarbara.blogspot.com/ William tagged me, so here are my lists:

Four jobs I've had:
  • teacher
  • pastor
  • family therapist
  • hash slinger (my very first job in a greasy spoon called Ashton's where the local guys from the car wash came over to ogle and my boss, who weighed 500 lbs. bellowed orders from his private booth and liked his dozen eggs sunny side up and his pound of bacon crispy)
Four movies I can watch over & over:
  • Amadeus (Solieri is my alterego, and I find a judicious review of this movie from time to time brings me to my knees)
  • The Secret of Ned Divine (There is nothing like a straight English comedy, set in a charming place, with a cast of character actors who are aging energetically and without benefit of cosmetic surgery.)
  • Simon Birch (because it was filmed in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia and is funny, compassionate and transformational all at once. And because the wonderful Anglican church featured in it was torched by teens a few years ago, and I can see the original in this movie.)
  • Dead Man Walking because it is so complicated theologically and so brilliantly acted. I wonder if actors are touched spiritually by the material they work with?

Four Places I've Lived: (only four?)

  • Fond des Negres, Haiti
  • Springhill, Nova Scotia
  • London, Ontario
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba

Four TV shows I love: (I added House and Monk because good television can be produced in the United States. If you haven't seen This is Wonderland, with its wonderful Canadian cast, script and setting, do it now.)

  • Masterpiece Theatre
  • Mystery
  • How Not To Decorate
  • This is Wonderland (plus House and Monk)
Four places I've vacationed:
  • London (U.K.)
  • Iqaluit (Inuvik, Canada)
  • San Diego
  • Outer Banks, East Coast USA

Four of my favourite dishes:
  • Baked Brie with cranberry sauce or peach chutney
  • Spinach Salad with pears and candied walnuts
  • Salmon lightly poached with lemon dill sauce or Halibut with pureed mango
  • Foamy Lemon Pudding (the best, the lightest dessert to follow fish)
Four sites I visit daily:
  • Northumbrian Community
  • CBC news online where I have been privileged to have once written the "letter of the day" and where I am constantly tempted to reproduce my minute of fame.
  • Henri Nouwen
  • sorry, only three

Four places I'd rather be right now:
  • Home, even though waiting for the birth of a new grandchild in Brampton is exciting
  • The Hebrides (yes, in winter)
  • Any Greek Island
  • St. Augustine (for another little jolt of American history)

4 comments:

wcs53 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your encouraging comment.

I haven't seen Ned Devine for a while. It is a gem.

Fred said...

Haiti? Wow - that must have been something. If you've blogged about it, let me know. I'd love to read about your adventure there.

Mark D said...

Very cool on all items!

Amadeus is a great movie!

Fred said...

Hey Connie - everything okay?